Saving Sullington’s Heritage
The Restoration of the Workshop
In 2015 we were delighted to receive the news that we had been awarded a Heritage Lottery Fund grant. Our project, ‘Saving Sullington’s Heritage’ was designed to repair the ancient buildings of the medieval manorial settlement, including work on the church, and preserve them for public appreciation.
The workshop is now home to our cafe, which provides additional services for holiday makers as well as walkers and cyclists.
Dipping back in time
Presumably the original building then deteriorated as the current east portion of the building was built around 1650 – 1700. Although less than half the size of Sullington tithe barn this was a prestigious ‘boarded’ barn and has more of its original frame in situ than the tithe barn.
This barn has never before been open to the public but now provides a cafe for holiday cottage visitors, and welcome respite for all the walkers, cyclists, horse riders who use Sullington as their gateway to the Downs.
The barns and other buildings of the historic farmyard, including Byre Cottages, are a rare group that show 800 years of development as farming fortunes fluctuated and, consequently, farming activities varied. The South Downs National Park Authority contributed to the visitor facing exhibition.